Thank you for your willingness to contribute to Picture Pile. This document aims to provide you with adequate information on the data we receive from you, how we process it, and what we make available to the public in order to comply with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The app you are using has been developed by the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Schlossplatz 1, 2361 Laxenburg, Austria. The Geo-Wiki.org platform is part of IIASA, and consists of different websites and apps that share a common infrastructure, primarily operated and maintained by the Center for Earth Observation and Citizen Science of IIASA in Laxenburg, Austria. Geo-Wiki.org is also part of the LandSense federation and engagement platform, which is mainly used for promoting citizen science project and campaigns via the contributing platforms and sharing outcomes of past campaigns.
What is personal data?
“Personal data” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person, such as their name, contact information, their location at a certain time or IP address.
Data processed by us
We are a scientific institute and process personal data for a scientific study on the changes in our landscape and their effects on the environment. We process personal data:
- for which you have given us consent for a specific purpose (Art. 6 para 1 lit a GDPR), namely for the conduction of this scientific study
- that is necessary for the performance of a contract (Art. 6 para 1 lit b GDPR), e.g. PayPal data to transfer rewards
- that is necessary for the performance of a task carried out (Art. 6 para 1 lit e GDPR), namely for the conduction of this scientific study; that is necessary for the purpose of the legitimate interests pursued by us or by a third party (Art. 6 para 1 litf GDPR), e.g. avoiding legal disputes about rights in the contributions. If possible, we seek the explicit consent to the processing of data, in particular the disclosure to third parties (Art. 6 para. 1 lit. a GDPR). Below is a list of types of data the app collects. Please note that a copy of the data might be briefly stored in the server's memory for a short period. This data is temporarily stored apart from the database, managed and deleted automatically by the server's operating system and will not be accessed by us for processing, archiving, or any other reason. It is also possible through logging errors or general requests that submitted data be stored in one of the server's log files. These files are not publicly accessible and are not used for any processing, storage or data publication other than for resolving a possible software problem. These are technical necessities over which we have no control.
We process the following data for registration, login and profile updates for a given user, all of which is stored on the platform:
- Email address
- User password (encrypted)
- User name
- First name
- Last name
- Additional attributes provided by user (biological gender, profession)
None of this information will be part of any publication (e.g. data product, scientific publication etc). For publications, a technical procedure (hash) will be used on the user's id to preserve data regarding which contributions were made by the same person. This hash does not allow for the calculation or retrieval of the original user id.
Whenever you use our service, we collect Log Data, or data and information (also through third party products) on your phone to identify errors in the app. Log Data may include information such as your device Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, device name, operating system version, the configuration of the app when utilizing our Service, the time and date of your use of the service, and other statistics. This data is used for identifying problems with our software and will not be published as part of the resulting data product.
When doing an image classification, the app accesses and processes the data you collected, and some additional information we use for assessing the quality of your contribution and for reproducing technical problems in case of an error. The following data is sent to the server and stored:
- Encrypted password
- Image ID
- Device and app information:
- Identification of Picture Pile app
- Version of Picture Pile app
- Smartphone operating system and version
- Device name (brand and model)
- Device serial number
- ID for the classification answer
- Duration needed for doing the classification
- Time and date when the classification was made
The Picture Pile website and its service are run on state-of-the-art web service environments hosted on rented servers at Hetzner Online GmbH, Industriestrasse 25, 91710 Gunzenhausen, Germany. We do not provide any means to access data for the hosting company other than the ways intended for every user. The environment is set up such that we restrict access to the database strictly to our trusted network and through APIs that let us choose exactly which data is accessible to which users.
Please note that we may employ the following third-party companies to facilitate our service:
- Google LLC;
- Hetzner Online GmbH.
Rights of the user
At any time, you have the right
- to request information as to which of your data we process (Art. 15 GDPR),
- to request the rectification or erasure of your data (Art. 16 and Art. 17 GDPR),.
- to restrict the processing of your data (Art. 18 GDPR),
- to request the transmission of your data (Art. 20 GDPR);
- to file a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular the Austrian data protection authority (www.dsb.gv.at) or the data protection authority at your place of residence.
You can instruct us to stop processing your data at any time using the contact data below. Even if you have agreed to the processing of data in the past, you can revoke such consent at any time (Art. 21 GDPR).
Should you have questions concerning your personal data, please contact us using the contact information below.
Third party apps and websites
Our app and/or website may contain links to other websites. If you click on a third-party link, you will be directed to that site. Please note that these external sites are not operated by us and we do not have any control, nor assume any responsibility for their content, privacy policies or practices.
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Schlossplatz 1, A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria.
Tel: + 43 2236 807 0