Thank you for your interest in Picture Pile. By registering and creating an account in the Picture Pile app or on the Picture Pile website, you accept the following terms and conditions. Please read them carefully before using the app or creating piles on the Picture Pile website.
- This Agreement is made between you (“the user”) and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Schlossplatz 1, 2361 Laxenburg, Austria (“IIASA”).
- Picture Pile is a scientific project for collecting image classifications for machine learning. Via the Picture Pile Application (“the app”), users are shown images which they are asked to classify. In doing so, they can earn money for classifying paid piles. For each user a quality score is calculated. We reserve the right to not pay out a user if the quality score of an user should be below a specific threshold or if we find the user is cheating for example that you are not doing the task manually yourself using the app and instead using an automatic system.
- While we use many quality control mechanisms like collecting multiple classifications per image by different users for making sure the collected data is of as high quality as possible we don’t guarantee that the data collected is useful in any way. It is the responsibility of the pile creator to provide enough training and expert images to train the crowd to do the tasks correctly how they want it.
There is no age restriction for the download and use of the app. However, in order to earn money, users must be at least 18 years old. By creating an account, you confirm that you have reached the age of 18 years.
- If the user quality score passes our quality requirements, the users will be paid for each image classification 0.003$ if the user has made over 100 classifications in a pile.. Please note that the amount earned might change and we reserve the right to change the amount the users earn for doing one image classification at any time. The amount of money earned is displayed on the App.
- The users can request withdrawal of the earned money on the App after they have earned over 5$.
- The user’s Picture Pile earnings will be transferred to their accounts using PayPal. The users are not entitled to another method of payment. Users can specify and modify their PayPal account via the app. If no PayPal account is specified no amount earned will be transferred.
- The transfer of the money can take up to 1 month.
For every user a quality score is calculated. If the quality score does not meet our quality standards, the user does not receive an earning for a pile and we reserve the right to ban the user from Picture Pile if the total quality score is below a certain threshold.
Any form of or attempt at data manipulation is strictly prohibited and will result in a permanent ban and forfeiture of the user’s credit note.
Rights of third parties
Your data contribution must not infringe on any third party rights. By submitting contributions, the users indicate that they have the right to authorize IIASA to use, process and make available any contributed material under these terms and conditions.
Rights and obligations
- All the rights relating to this app, including its copyrights, trademarks or database rights belong to IIASA. Users are not allowed to copy, modify or otherwise exploit any part of the app, make derivative versions or to extract the app’s source code.
- Certain functions of the app require an active internet connection. IIASA is not responsible for any charges of the user’s network provider relating to the upload and/or download of any data, including roaming data charges when accessing the app outside the user’s home territory.
- IIASA gives no warranty and accepts no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or the completeness of the information and materials contained in the app, especially when the user did not download available updates or register in the first place. In order to minimize the risk and provide a beneficial experience, the user should always use the latest version of the software.
- Under no circumstances will IIASA be held responsible or liable in any way for any claims, damages, losses, expenses, costs or liabilities whatsoever resulting or arising directly or indirectly from the user’s use of or inability to use the app or the user’s reliance on the information and material in the app.
- Regardless of the result of the quality check, IIASA is not obligated to include the user’s contributions in the campaign and may remove any contributions from the campaign at any time.
Assignment of rights
- The user grants IIASA a perpetual, worldwide, unlimited in scope, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable and non-exclusive license to use, in particular without being limited to, copy, adapt, rent, lend, show, communicate and make available to the public (including without limitation via the internet), distribute and broadcast, in each case in an original or modified form, in any currently known or future way of exploitation, the submitted contributions in whole or in part, with the right to transfer these rights or to grant sublicenses to third parties. The user waives his right to be named as an author of the contribution.
- The user assures that he is legally entitled to grant the above license. If any third party holds any rights on the contribution, the user assures that he has received permission to grant the above license on behalf of that third party, or that the third party has waived such rights in regard to the contributions.
- This contract and all rights and obligations resulting from it is subject to Austrian substantive law to the exclusion of the rules on conflicts of law and CISG.
- All disputes between the contracting parties in relation to this contract are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the competent court for the City of Vienna (Innere Stadt Wien).
- Any amendments to this contract shall only be valid if done in writing.
- If any provision in these conditions is found to be illegal or invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction or an arbitrator, that clause shall be deemed removed and the remainder shall be unaffected. The parties shall endeavor to agree on an alternative clause having like effect, as a substitute for the provision that has been removed.
- IIASA reserves the right, to modify or replace these terms and conditions at any time. Should a modification be adopted, an adequate notice will be given to the users. By continuing to access or use the Picture Pile app after this notice, users agree to be bound by the revised terms and conditions. If users do not agree to the new terms and conditions, they must refrain from accessing or using the app without delay.